Random picture of the...

Random picture of the...

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The return to racing

13 May 2009

Saturday I missed the start of the race, I had a basic idea where I need to go but, got lost a few times, and had a flat tire.  I managed to bump into a few guys riding to the race, and rode the last leg with them, and got another flat with a half mile left.  When I did arrive my race under way, I watched the race, and fixed my tire.  I did sing up for the license so now I am setup t race again.  

As I was leaving the race I had 90 minutes to go 20+ miles back to downtown in order to blow for the day.  As I began riding back, I get another flat... yes the third of the day.  I swap the tube for one of the slower leakers from earlier and ride back as fast as I can.  As I get downtown the rear tire is completely flat, but I make it to blow in time, and limp the final bit home.  

Sunday
I was supposed to meet some people for a ride who cancelled due to the rain.  I was already riding to meet them, and since I was already wet, figured I would just keep riding.  I took it easy riding the bike paths exploring, getting lost and eventually making it home.  Overall I got in a little over 100 miles between the two days which was great.  

I am looking forward to racing, but really need to get more miles in my legs.  My issues now is I have been working 445-2 thus giving me overtime which will help pay for racing, and getting me out of debt.  The flip side of this is by the time Wednesday come around to ride I am too tired.  I got home today sat down, and woke up 2 hours later, half undressed in the process of getting ready for a ride.  I am thinking/hoping this is temporary as my body gets used to regular exercise, and the new work schedule..  

Drinking
I have not drank in 32 days, so just over a month.  I have actually had no issues except my love for sugar which I have started cutting back on which may also be part of my fatigue.  I had class last night, and long story short, there is the idea by some shrink conglomerate that you do not reach adulthood until 24-26.  This is based on your brain finally finishing its last stages of development.  There a few stages between birth leading to adulthood (clearly) and the theory is when you start using you disrupt your development to a degree, and you get sort of stuck in that stage.  Maybe not get stuck but it slows your development and its more difficult to move on since brain can’t move on because its high etc.  

I am clearly butchering their work but the premise is I started drinking and using drugs at 14.  I found this interesting because I have always said I am a 15 year old stuck in a 31 year old body.  This actually gives a little reasoning for why this might be the case.  If I stay sober there is hope I might actually become an adult at some point in the future.  

No comments: