Random picture of the...

Random picture of the...

Thursday, April 30, 2009

The religious rant... how I made it this long without one is a wonder

30 April 09

Life is good
This week has been amazing, and very tiring.  Monday and Tuesday I have classes, so after working 5-1, going to the gym to 2 hours, and then a 2 hour class, its a LONG day.  Which actually gets the first part of the week to fly by since, I barely have a moments rest in between riding around etc.  

Work has been going well though some days drag, but such is life.  I have been going to the gym regularly, and am slowly recovering from my fat bastard days of this past winter.  A side effect of riding and working out is I actually eat now, I know... STRANGE.  Though my weight has not dropped the fat parts are falling off, and I am getting stronger.  I maxed at 760 pounds on the leg press today, mind you this is after doing 68 reps at weights from 200 pounds up, and to 760 where I did 3 reps.  I love the looks on peoples faces as my skinny ass leg presses over 4 times his body weight.

The American inquisition
I sadly sped time on Facebook, too much time, and have connected with some people I went to high school with, and it is frightening.  First I was scared since most are married with kids etc, and I felt like I was left behind.  I no longer feel this way, what I find more frightening is how many turned religious.  I find this astounding because fanaticism over religion I can not grasp.  Its like gay marriage, why anyone would care if 2 dudes get married does not register in my mind, if they want to be miserable like every other marred couple... let them.  

While I was in jail I did a lot of soul searching, and everyone seems to find religion inside but me.  I toyed with suicide while I was grappling with where my life was heading, but even then I scoffed at the notion of religion.  When I got out I was on the verge of being homeless, and drinking myself to death,still the notion of prayer was further away than the concept of sobering up.  These days I have a fairly good idea of where my life is heading, well for the next 2 years at least, then who knows where I might move etc.  This insight can from sobriety not prayer.

On easter someone posted on Facebook that it was “the greatest day in human history” meaning the day that Jesus rose to the heavens.  I was livid, I still can not comprehend how that can be compared to the day when East and West Berlin were united, the day when humans learned of our own hideous capabilities either with the dropping of the A-bomb, or the days when liberation came to thousands of Jews locked in concentration camps.   

I mentioned this to a friend who teaches Sunday school, and  she agreed that the rising of Christ was the greatest day ever, this perplexed me more.  Maybe I am jealous I do not have a conviction (based on logic or faith) about anything with this strength.  Even now as I still try to figure out why I am still alive, and where I will be in 10 years I still laugh at the notion of praying for guidance but so many do, but why?  Are they incapable of making a decision themselves, and if god tells them to do, and if it turns crappy they can say “well he works in mysterious ways” type BS?  Do they not have the decision making capabilities?  Can they not decide what is right and wrong for themselves and need a parent to say “do this don’t do that“?

Lastly, I love how they follow just the rules they like... case in point my Sunday School teaching friend  is having an affair with a married man.... oh and she is married too.  Now, she is not the only religious person who picks and chooses which rules apply, but how can people so into the concept of god then be like... god must of been drunk when he wrote that stuff about the virtue of marriage, or abstinence before marriage, or Sunday is a day of rest, the list goes on.

I suppose if you just took the rules you liked... that would just make you a normal chump with a set of values of your own?  Where would the fun be in that?  Now coming back to the point, I think we should form clans who go around converting people to atheism, those who resist are killed and tortured, it would be restitution for the lives lost when the catholic church killed heathens who thought for themselves... and considering religious people pop out kids like its going out of style (think Irish-catholics... and yes I am aware the idea was to have more children to get more votes...) it would be the ultimate in population control!  This should have been Bush’s platform for invading Iraq, it has as much logic as attacking because there was no proof of WMD’s or Al Qaeda.  

No comments: