Random picture of the...

Random picture of the...

Sunday, April 26, 2009

An except of a day

26 April 2009

This past week I nearly got into a fist fight with a co-worker which was beyond comical.  He is in his mid 40’s maybe 50, and he has been out for the last few months after having a rotator cuff surgery.  He was there the first couple of weeks I started working here, and returned a few weeks ago.  Overall he is a decent chap, a bit of a pain but nothing too major.  

This past week he continually tried to be the funny guy with great quips.  He was not aware that this is the service I perform in the shop.  I did not have an issue with his sad attempts until he tried to make me the butt of the joke.  We then start going tit for tat back and forth.  I was just teasing with him since he was not aware of what he was getting starting.  At one point another co-worker overhearing us comes over, and says be careful he has some good come backs.  

We continue on until finally I grow bored with him making the same joke repeatedly which no one found funny the first time, never mind the 12th time.  I start breaking out some new material which culminated with

Me:  “you know why your wife could never be a carpenter? ”
Him: “Why”
Me: “because you have been telling her for years that this I----I is 6 inches”

At this point the 3 guys who were listening in are rolling laughing, and I walk away knowing my job is done.  He comes up getting in my face sincerely angry at which point he actually makes a threat.  I am not a violent man but this is where I draw the line so instead of continuing on my way I had to stop and talk to him.  

I found the whole exchange quite comical, he continually calls me “Lance”  and college boy since I went to school for cabinetmaking.  These in his world are insults which he thinks are original and witty.  I just find them pathetic and sad... the fact that he finds them witty I find downright confusing.  


4 comments:

Skippy's Mom said...

I admire your restraint at not actually hauling off and slugging him. The rapier-sharp with strikes again!!

Did you make it through the whole weekend without backsliding?

Skippy's Mom said...

That was supposed to be wit.

Clownbaby said...

Yes, the weekend I had no real desire to drink, mind you I do keep some non-alcoholic beer in the fridge for when I do have the urge or desire to have a drink. So, as of now 16 days, Its amazing how much more I can actually accomplish when my first thought is not finding happiness at the bottom of a bottle. Strangely I never found happiness there, but have found it sober... STRANGE.

Skippy's Mom said...

You have an incredible mind and thirst for knowledge. Use that to keep you outside, active and away from thoughts of booze.

The O'Doul's may not be the right crutch, right now. Water, juice, Juice, water.

Skippy is on the big silver bird en route to
Sudan right now. Thoughts and prayers, please.