Random picture of the...

Random picture of the...

Sunday, May 17, 2009

John fall down go boom


17 May 2009

I went to the library, got my official Denver library card, grabbed a book, it was the beginning to a great Sunday afternoon.  As I walked into the library I decided I should sign up for my community service, and there is a place down the street where I know a few people doing their time.  I head down broadway cruising along enjoying the scenery.  

I was cruising along I would guess 17-18 MPH, I had my hands resting on the handlebars, not gripping them, just resting on top like I usually ride.  I hit a pot hole went flying forward catching myself on the handlebars with my stomach, i started to regain control, and went BOOM.  

I jumped up, as only I would... laughing.  The homeless guy who watched it happen summed it up in one word “ouch”.   The first thing I do?  inspect Betty!  Betty is fine and well, she is a little shaken up, and in need of new handlebar tape but with a little rest she will be fine.   I was a couple of blocks from where my friend Brandi was working so I stopped in there to wash up, and inspect my damages.  

I get there, and lock up my bike, and people start asking if I am alright, at this point I am starting to think maybe it is worse than I thought.  I walk in to see Brandi and her co-workers starting asking if I am alright, Brandi knew exactly what was up, grabbed me some paper towels and led my to the bathroom.  I finished cleaning up, when when of her GENIUS co-workers says I should put alcohol on it... they don’t have any (thank you!).  Nope they found it... OUCH is one way of putting it... the worse were my arms, but yeah it did not tickle.  

As I am finishing up Brandi says I now owe her an ice cream, and her co-workers jump in that I owe all of them ice cream.  I agree adding in “except for the one who suggested the alcohol, she doesn’t get ice cream”.  

I have road rash under my  left eye, a fat lip, a little more rash on my chin, my left shoulder,  left leg and both forearms are a little torn up.  I am not 100% but I had to of gotten my hands back on the handlebars in time since the palms of my hands are fine.  I have scrapes on the backs of my hands which would mean I got them back on in time.  I am fine, a little bruised is all the tragedy being now I can’t get tattooed Wednesday since I tore up the area a bit.  

After washing up I decided to go home instead of doing the community service thing, I will save that for later in the week.  

2 comments:

Skippy's Mom said...

I am glad you survived without cracking your skull!

More later. Just got home from hospital (hip replacement) and haven't caught up with all the blogs.

Skippy's Mom said...

What happened to the book?