Random picture of the...

Random picture of the...

Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Uneventful Weekend


1 + 2 November 2008

As the title clearly states not much has been going in these parts this weekend.  I did ride 20 miles to Lafayette to see if I could get my car released from impound and this turned into a fiasco.  I show up at the Police station which is closed, Saturday afternoon all the doors are locked you have to pick up a phone which you can hear ringing on the other side of the glass.  After about 5 rings it continues to ring, though you can no longer hear it on the other side of the glass.  Someone finally answers and I explain that I need a form to release my car; the gentleman asks if I am at the station.  Which yes I am, I wanted to ask if he was taking a nap on his couch at home, but refrained.  After about 10 mins someone comes to the door who answers every question with come back Monday between 8-5.  Literally, every question, when he realizes I have nothing better to do than keep asking questions all day he s-l-o-w-l-y begins to answer questions.  Since he was not in uniform I suppose the serve part does not apply to his creed. 

 On my bike ride home I started questioning how I got arrested on a weekend, poor cop probably got the call, and since nothing was on TV he figured he would respond.  If only a good episode of “3’s Company “was on that faithful night I would be free today.

Saturday night I was putting on my killer new tires when I notice a broken nipple, so my wheel is out of true. This is not a big issue except in Longmont, CO since no bike shops are open, and the only one that is does not offer any service. As you walk through the door, they have their mission statement on the door which states that their goal is to promote cycling and their goal is to making cycling as enjoyable as possible, through excellent service.  I have been in this shop 4 times, and every time they proceed to disappoint me further.  The guy mentions he can’t fix it today so I ask for a nipple, and in making sure the size is correct I notice… 1, and 2 broken nipples. I grab two nipples, and head of to blow.

 I get to the place, and I am early so I am waiting when an older gentleman that I can smell at 5 feet of Gin strong enough to make me nauseous. He is telling me he used to be on the Mongoose pro mountain bike team, as well as he has lost his drivers license until 2012.  He starts talking about how he came down Flagstaff Mountain at 100 mph! Those who know Flagstaff now the speed is possible (?) if it were a straight shot.  Instead there are 25 (?) cut backs to be negotiated or else you find the very fast way down the mountain.  This was all comical to me, he leaves smoking a cigarette saying we should go for a bike ride sometime.  He at this point as trouble balancing on two feet, forget two wheels. 

 I went in and blew, and rode home, and start replacing the nipples; upon closer inspection I notice 1, 2, 3, 4, and YES 5! Broken nipples, so now the wheel though some how got me home safely is clearly not designed to be ridden.  This puts a huge damper on getting my car out of impound tomorrow since I need to get the wheel repaired in order to go to work.  Why not use my road bike you may ask? A side story is I sold my brakes to Skippy before recognizing one of my back up brake calipers does not work with my frame.  I now have a single brake mounted on my road bike so I can get o my meetings tomorrow, and get the other tire fixed. 

 I also would like to ask why is it dark at 5pm now?  Damn farmers.

    

No comments: