Random picture of the...

Random picture of the...

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My Hood


28 November 2008

 I have been joking with people saying I live in the ghetto, and according to 70% of the people I work with I shouldn’t walk outside alone after dark. I just took Jazmine for a walk and being a Friday night it was quite fun.  You go from a cute punk girl trying to pet Jazmine, to an old drunk who said he would watch my dog as I went into the store if I bought him a 24 oz PBR. 

 My neighborhood is strange, in that I live just off of East Colfax, which is lined with fast food, adult bookstores, liquors stores, every imaginable type of dive bar, and check cashing places.  As you go 200 feet down any of these side streets you enter into an area of large old homes, and random dingy apartment complex’s. 

 I live in a dingy apartment complex, but for 550 a month, it is wonderful.  I love being able to walk to the corner store where the owner yells at people on the street threatening to call the cops.  I also love the new commute; I gained 3 hours each day by moving closer to my job, never mind saving 300 a month.  I just wish I had done this prior to the DUI but what are you going to do right? 

 I also love the cycling, it’s not scenic, inspiring, or safe, but it definitely gets the blood pumping. I give myself a year until I either smarten up, or start riding safely, or until I am run over. Each day I catch myself doing something more stupid than he previous day.  Wednesday, this was beautiful, something straight out of “Quicksilver” I fly through a red light, bunny hop a curb ride across a sidewalk, for 500 yards and bunny hop back into full speed traffic. It was damn sexy, but afterwards I was curious why?  I am heading to Office Max, there is no rush, they close in 6 hours, I am 5 blocks away… why pull that completely awesome stunt risking death, for a new ink cartridge?  I think that could be filed into the “John’s inability to grow up” file. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you hadn't had the DUI you wouldn't have gotten the dope slap you needed to start getting your life on track.

What did you do for Thanksgiving?

Skippy said much the same about certain sections of LA which seemed like endless strip malls until you ventured down the side streets.