Random picture of the...

Random picture of the...

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Goodbye old friend

23 November 2008

 I am still in various states of packing but just put the kegerator conversion kit onto ebay, and got to thinking.  I figured I should tell the story of how/why I got it, since it is sort of funny, in a sad way.

 So, I started dating a girl in June who worked at New Belgium brewery which is up the road in Fort Collins. We met via match, and hung out a few times, and things went well, and who better for an alcoholic to date than a brewer, right?  So, every time we hung out she would bring a case of beer since, they get it free.  In June I was drinking a lot, and every few days had to do my “walk of shame” which was walking down with a huge plastic jug of empty bottles, and cans.  The worst part was pouring the empties into a larger recyclables container.  Imagine the sound of 40+ glass bottles falling 2-3 feet; yeah you can hear it for about a city block. 

 This combined with the waste of cardboard boxes etc, got me to thinking a kegerator might not be a bad idea, when the girl told me she could get me free kegs or an employee discount of near 50% it turned into a no brainer.  Also, there is the fact that buying beer by the keg is cheaper per once even at retail prices. 

 I did some research, and looked into different setups etc, and finally decided on a setup which would allow me to have 2 separate beers on tap.  I picked up a fridge off craigslist for $50 painted it blue one day at work and was ready to rock and roll. The kit came, and after about 15 mins was all set up.  The girl (at this point we had broken up, but still friends) came with a 1/6 barrel of beer (about 5 gallons) and I picked up a quarter barrel from Left Hand Brewery (yes another 7.25 gallons of beer were needed).  Needless to say, this took my drinking to a whole different level. 

“The beer I had for breakfast wasn’t bad, so I had another for desert” pretty much summed up my weekends from that point forward. You would think that having mass amounts of beer at home would make for not going out at night, didn’t really work out that way.  Everyone told me the keg was a bad idea; it was fun while it lasted.  She is now hopefully going to get me some of the money back, and at the least remove the temptation.  My liver seems to be happy with the decision, livers are over rated.

 

No comments: